named setup problems

I have been trying to solve some issues for myself by making my
own version of a "dynamic IP hack". I think its a great idea but
implimenting it is proving tough.

The reason is this: I have 127.0.0.1 setup as my main name server.
whenever my ppp connection is not up, any program which ends up causing a DNS
lookup can be a PITA ...since it tends to try and wait for a long time.

the "workaround" has been to kill named but...My machine is setup as the
nameserver by all the machines on my network (woo hoo...all 3 of them)
anyway here was my idea:

copy the bind setup...
then setup one of them so that it has no knowledge of any root servers and
is the primary nameserver for the network...and list no other
outside adresses or nameservers anywhere.

This would basically be the setup of a machine that is never to be internet
connected.
The other setup wouyld have those configs and also know about internet
nameservers and cache requests to them....
How do I setthis up?
I have read the BIND docs...I even read the manual by Paul Vixie:
Name Server Operations Guide for BIND
I just can't figure out exactly how to set it up...
my setup:
I have a network of 3 machines:
Win95 machine name: Spiderman (my father's PC..he named it) 10.0.0.35
Linux Box: Shit-Box 10.0.0.42
my girlfriends Mac: kitty 10.0.0.11

Shit-Box (name has a long story attached ;) ) is the internet gateway (when
ppp is up), the web server, the name server, mail server, etc...

I would provide more info but...I needed bind working so I had to
dpkg -r bind...then trash the config and re-install it
(I screwed it and my backup setup both up)

currently I am calling my network carpanet (as in Shit-box.carpanet)
can anyone help set this up? any pointers to more good info
(Paul Vixie's manual is very good but obviously isn't doing it for me)
-Steve

--
/* -- Stephen Carpenter <sjc@delphi.com> ------------------------------ */
A favorite quote from a source I forget: