Re: PNP modem

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> Robert Henry Rati wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
> >
> > > Yup. Under hamm. I've had trouble is isapnp in the past but setting up an internal USR
> > > Sportster this time was a breeze and it was actually better since I could use IRQ 5
> > > which is non-standard for a serial port (I'm using two other ports already). Does
> > > pnpdump find the device?

> > As far as I can tell, pnpdump doesn't find my modem.  That is probably
> > because I haven't changed the isapnp.conf file because I don't know what I
> > need to change.  I looked at the man pages, but they weren't much help, ad
> > looking at the file itself is like reading greek.  I know the settings for
> > my modem, but don't know how to put them into isapnp.conf so pnpdump will
> > find it.  It's on Com2, Irq 3, and I have the IO address written down.
> > What do I need to put in the isapnp.conf to get it to be seen?  Or
> > atleast, someplace to start looking for changes?
>
> First, if your modem really is PNP then pnpdump should certainly find it. pnpdump doesn't
> use any config file at all. It discovers PNP boards through the process defined in the spec.
> Basically, PNP boards are supposed to read/write on a special PNP IO address. It could be
> though that after a device is configured it no longer has to look at this port. It could be
> that this last statement is true and that your BIOS is PNP aware and is setting up the
> hardware before you get the chance to. In this case as long as it assigns the same IO/IRQ
> each time (it should as long as you don't add or remove hardware) you don't need to run
> isapnp at all, you just need to do 'setserial /dev/ttyS? blah blah'.
>
> --
> Jens B. Jorgensen
> jjorgens@bdsinc.com

My Bios is PNP aware, I know that.  When you run pnpdump, what output does
it give you if it finds something?  When I run it, I get a long list of
what looks like the isapnp.conf file with a lot of stuff commented out.
Infact, it doesn't look like anything is commented in.  If setserial will
work, is there a way to have my modem configured via setserial on bootup?

| ratirh@lore.cs.purdue.edu : Role-Player, Babylon 5 fanatic      1997-98 |
| Homepage: www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/ratirh (Careful it's not completed)   |
| "The past brings pain, the future depression,                           |
|  the present disappointment.  The only thing that remains is the moment.|
|  Live for the moment, and enjoy life.  You only have one chance. "      |