deselect & apt

Greetings All,
	I have a question regarding the Apt method of access under deselect.
I am running Hamm, and periodically try to upgrade my system under deselect
using Apt.  Apt tells me that over 50 packages are being held back.  It
doesn't
tell me why.  What does this mean?  I assume that "held back"  means "not
going to download", but it doesn't tell me if it is because of conflicts,
non-selection,
or some other reason.
	Also, Apt tries to upgrade my kernel, but the connection times out - due
to the size of the download I presume.  My connection to my ISP stays up -
its the
connection to the debian site that times out.  I think I need to check in
the docs again to
see if I can upgrade my system EXCEPT for certain (large) packages.
	The documentation (that I have) is pretty sparse.  Can someone explain
the "held back" issue to me?

	Thanks for any help.  This resource is greatly appreciated.

		Russ

Russell Cook, Engineering Branch
WSR-88D Operational Support Facility
(405)366-6520 x4237