Re: libc6 Netscape form problems

>I am running the libc6 version of Netscape 4.05 and am experiencing
>some strang problems when entering text into text fields.  Something
>keeps appending random binary bits to the end of the strings and it
>really screws things up.  Sometimes it isn't even apparent in the field
>and other times it is.  This is really fun when trying to order things
>on the web!!  As an example I tried placing an order for 2 items and it
>somehow converted it to 21!!! Yikes!  Or as another example I entered
>"free source" into yahoo's search field and it said that I had entered,
>"free sourceü^¾¤-?ü^¾¤-?h=5>".  What gives.  I suppose I could
>re-install the libc5 version of Netscape but if Netscape is not the
>problem I don't want to download the 11+M over my 31.2k dialup.

It's a bug in Netscape, however there is a cure. If you set
LD_PRELOAD to /lib/libBrokenLocale.so.1 the problems go away. If you
are using the Debian wrapper, the easiest way to get it set is to
edit /usr/bin/X11/netscape (it's a script). Look for the folloing
section and add the export LD_PRELOAD= line:

#
# Set some env vars to make things work better
#
#LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/netscape:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libBrokenLocale.so.1
MOZILLA_HOME=/usr/lib/netscape
NPX_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/.netscape/plugins:/usr/local/lib/netscape/plugins:/usr/lib
/netscape/plugins
display=$DISPLAY
export MOZILLA_HOME NPX_PLUGIN_PATH display

if you are not using the wrapper, alias netscape to run
env LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libBrokenLocale.so.1 netscape

HTH
/Anders

Anders Hammarquist   |       Mud at Kingdoms        | iko@netg.se
NetGuide Scandinavia |   telnet kingdoms.se 1812    | Fax: +46 31 50 79 39
http://www.netg.se   |                              | Tel: +46 31 50 79 40