Re: Web transaction security.

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Christopher Barry wrote:

:
:
: Jaakko Niemi wrote:
:
: > <snip>
: >
: >  This is a ns bug. Really funny, when you are paying bills through
: >  a www-service. Or entering passwords/uids/urls... <snip>
: >
: >         --j

[ long lines fixed ]

: There was a big discusion in one of the slashdot.org poles awhile
: back, I believe the pole was something like "would you use (or do you
: trust) online shopping?". The consensus of the discussion was that
: it's actually SAFER to give your credit card # over the web. For the
: million different reasons, I suggest you look up this pole on the
: slashdot page and read it. I never trusted online commerce before, but
: now I use it often.

Who's talking about security?  I think the point was that if Netscape is
adding "random" characters to an input box on a form, how in the world
do you correctly enter a payment amount, or a credit card number?

Think about it :)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104

PS. I think you meant the "poll" on slashdot.