FetchMail problem

I'm trying to set up fetchmail and have been pulling my hair out
because the program doesn't seem to be acting like how the docs and
manpage says it should.

I want to run fetchmail in a daemon mode, so I created a script in
/etc/init.d with the proper format which calls fetchmail as:

start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/bin/fetchmail -- -f
/etc/fetchmailrc -d 7200 -t 180 -L /var/log/fetchmail.log

this seems to run fetchmail just fine.

The problem I get is that my user mail for local username "redwards"
is put into root's mailbox.  In my above-mentioned /etc/fetchmailrc I
have the following entry:

poll golgotha.net
    user redwards with password secret is redwards here
    flush
    mda "formail -s procmail"

I don't get it.  This manpage describes this as something that should
put "redwards"'s mail into my local user "redwards"'s mailbox.  I've
varied it widely with no luck (starting and stopping the daemon
appropriately as fetchmail only reads its *rc file once in daemon at
startup) -- no matter what I seem to do the local root account gets
all the mail for "redwards".

Can anyone see anything I'm doing wrong or give some suggestions on
how to cure this?  Thanks in advance.

--
 Regards,                |Debian GNU/__     o http://www.debian.org