Re: Daemons & Ports and stuff

-> 1. I was checking to see what services my computer was running today with
-> nmap. And there was all sorts of stuff like daytime and chargen that I
-> don't use, so I removed all the extraneous entries in /etc/inetd.conf
-> (using comments), leaving only ftp and telnet. Is this okay; do I need
-> any of the others?

usually there's no problem with it;

-> 2. Why are there two entries for ftp in /etc/inetd.conf?
-> ftp             stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
-> ftp             stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/ftpd

onbe from original and one from wu-ftpd package, one should be commented; if
you have wu-ftpd, then the first one...

-> 3. After restarting inetd nmap still reported something called sunrpc on port
-> 111. What is this/Do I need it/How do I remove it if not?

that's portmap for rpc services; started from /etc/init.d/netbase or from
/etc/init.d/xinetd; needed for some services but maybe not need by you.

-> 4. Can I get Apache and sshd to run from inetd instead of on their own?

you can, but it's not good idea if those are much used. for ssh it will
slow down logging in.

--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, sysadmin at NETLAB+ Kosice, Slovakia
 BIC coord for *.sk; admin of netlab.irc.sk; co-admin of irc.felk.cvut.cz