setting mru in ppp

I am under the understanding that modem ppp links perform better
with packet sizes somewhat less than the default of 1500.  Is this
still true?

I am trying to set my incomming packet size to 542, but have been unable
to get this to work.  Am I doing it wrong, or is my provider's machine
simply ignoring the request?

I am running hamm (up to date).

mapleloop# cat /etc/ppp/peers/provider
# The chatscript (be sure to edit that file too)
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"
mru 542 defaultroute noauth /dev/ttyS0 38400 persist

Thanks
Mike