Re: stupidity and disaster

My suggestion:
Get a rescue disk (like the one you used to originally install debian).
If you dont have one handy, use another computer to download an image
from somewhere like www.debian.org and make one, following the instructions.

Boot up with the rescue disk.  Dont activate a swap, partition or format
anything.  (he he, but you prolly know that).  Look for the option that
lets you mount a partition.  Mount the partition that bash lives on and
undo what you did.  Remove the rescue disk and reboot.

I dont know why what you did did not work, but I am sure we will slap
our foreheads and say, "no wonder" when one of the gurus explains it to
us.

Mike