Re: ppp.log question

Robert Kerr writes:
> I bit the bullet this week and installed hamm.  Now, however, I seem to
> have a funny problem.  It used to be that when I typed plog, it would tell
> me the last ten or so lines of ppp.log, which was more than enough to tell
> me what my IP address was.  Now, however, ppp.log is filled with about ten
> billion lines similar to :
> Jul 10 07:26:44 chuy pppd[138]: rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 < 11 05 00 01
> 04>]
> Jul 10 07:26:44 chuy pppd[138]: sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1]
>
> and then a bunch of :
> Jul 10 07:27:14 chuy pppd[138]: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x1 magic=0xebff]
> Jul 10 07:27:15 chuy pppd[138]: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x1 magic=0x86533e6c]
>
> and they're filling up my ppp.log.  How can I change this behavior back to
> the behavior it had under bo?

ppp.log behavior is the same under hamm than the one in bo, if you
configure them manually reading /usr/doc/ppp/README.debian.gz

But if you runed pppconfig script, then you can recover the old
behavior comenting out the debug line it puts in your provider ppp
options file (/etc/ppp/peers/provider).

Also, you may want to put the persist line in that file, if you want
an automatic redial when your connection goes down for some external
event (someone picking up the extension or your isp hanging at you at
unexpected times, etc).

I have not filled a bug against this because the pppconfig package
get's used during the initial system install if you decide to use the
ftp method to install with a ppp connection, and in such cases it
should be good to know the debug output of the ppp link. Also because
I don't readed the documentation for pppconfig, and maybe it warns you
about this two issues (I have uninstalled it, as I don't use it, I
configured ppp by hand opening another VT2 when installing with ftp
before I know of it's existence).

See you
Roberto Ruiz

ps. I used it on another computer I installed by ftp in a ppp dialup
environment, and liked it, the questions it ask are very understandables.

--
LINUX: the FREE 32 bit OS for [3456]86 PC's available NOW!