Re: FVWM2 (New X user)

Matt Kopishke <kopishke@midcoast.com> writes:

> I have X (finally) working on my machine (bo), I am running FVWM2 and was
> wondering what I do to add a pattern or color (prefer pattern) to the
> desktop.  I now you edit the fvwm.rc file, but what do I edit, what
> format file do I use for the pattern, and were would I put it?

Actually, the debian fvwm2 setup is made for easy customization, so
that you don't need to edit huge monolithic .fvwm2rc files.

Just create a subdir. of your home directory call .fvwm2 - then put
the background you want into one of the following files:
~/.fvwm2/background.xpm
~/.fvwm2/background.gif
~/.fvwm2/background.jpg

(If multiple files are present, .xpm takes precedence over .gif which
takes precedence over .jpg)

You can also just change the color by putting the color name (like
"red" or "blue") into the file ~/.fvwm2/background.color

Finally, you can get it to choose a random background by creating a
file called ~/.fvwm2/background.list, and listing one background file
per line.

DANIEL MARTIN

P.S.  One mistake people often make is to download a ~/.fvwm2rc file
from the net or use a friend's - in that case, you lose all the nice
debian-specific stuff in Debian's fvwm2 setup.  If you ever want to do
something to tweak fvwm2's setup, just add lines to the file
~/.fvwm2/post.hook as though you were adding lines to your ~/.fvwm2rc.