Re: postgres intallation failed

Networking Wizard wrote:
  >After Shared PostgreSQL library intsallation (libpgsql 6.3.2-8)
  >i've been trying to inttall postgresql (6.3.2-8) severl times,
  >but i did not succeed; dpkg terminates because of unspecified errors.
  >Here is the log:
  >
  >> Unpacking replacement postgresql ...
  >> Setting up postgresql (6.3.2-8) ...
  >> Now installing the PostgreSQL database files in /var/postgres/data
  >> su - postgres -c PATH=/usr/uxs:/root/uxs:/root/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/lo
      >cal/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/lib/postgresql
      >/bin:/usr/lib/postgresql/bin; initdb -l /usr/lib/postgresql/lib -r /var/
      >postgres/data -u postgres
  >> dpkg: error processing postgresql (--install):
  >>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
  >> Errors were encountered while processing:
  >>  postgresql
  >
  >Shadow passwords have been installed on machine. Could this error be
  >ascribed to shadow password for 'postgres' postmater account?

I don't think so.  I use shadow passwords and have no problem.

The current state of the package is that it is unpacked and should be present
on your disk.  If you have never installed it before, it needs to create a
new database - this is the step it has failed on.  However, I see that
this was a 'replacement postgresql': had you created a database with
an earlier version?

To find out what is going wrong with initdb:
Edit /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/initdb and add the line `set +x' after the
first line.  Then become root and run the initialisation command (this
is all one line):

 su - postgres -c "PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/postgresql/bin; initdb -l
/usr/lib/postgresql/lib -r /var/postgres/data -u postgres"

It should now be possible to see where failure is occurring - please send
me the screen output.

  >By the way, which password will be assigned to postmaster, during the
  >installation?

If postgres is installed from base-passwd; it needs (I think) to be
enabled by assigning it a password.  If it does not exist when postgresql's
preinst script runs, it is created with `adduser --disabled-password'.  You
cannot log in as postgres until it is assigned a password (but root can still
su to it.)

Oliver Elphick
PostgreSQL maintainer for Debian
     "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ; for it
      is the power of God unto salvation to every one that
      believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."
                             Romans 1:16