Re: Samba: password for mapping network drives

Hi,

If you are running your samba in an internal network like for my case (at
home),
you can try commenting off  security = user

Then you will not be prompt for password at all.

Any comment about this? Security?

> I'm running the nmbd and smbd Samba daemons, and having trouble
mapping a
> network drive on my windows machine to any of my mounted drives.  I've
> tried the following ways of connecting using windows' map utility (i.e. in
> explorer):
>
> \\debian\hda#  (where # = appropriate drive partition)
> \\debian\usr (or \root, \var, or \usr)
>
> In either case, the map utility prompts me for a password to connect to
> these resources.  I've tried the root password, and all the passwords for
> individual users, but it always comes back and says, "the password is
> incorrect, please try again."  Is there another password that I'm not
> aware of that I need to be entering here, or another daemon I'm not yet
> running to be able to map a network drive in this way?  The man pages
> didn't provide as much help as I wished.
>
> running hamm, 2.0.33 kernel\
>
> Brian
>
> PS:  apologies on posting that ZDnet article earlier.  In the future, I'll
> only post the address to such articles (if they're worth it). Thanks
> again, everyone for being patient with a newbie.
>

> --

          R   O   W   I   N   G
Jieyao  <jieyao@letterbox.com>  ICQ 836655

Don't waste your computer's time.