Re: How to install Debian?

In article <19980626133818.A10627@crosssound.narrows.com>,
Ian Eure <ieure@crosssound.narrows.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 09:46:28PM +0200, Stef Hoesli Wiederwald wrote:
>> Our Mailserver runs with Slackware. I want to change to Debian. The
>> problem is the following: There is no CD-ROM, no floppy disk and no
>> DOS installed. How can I install Debian from an existing ext2fs
>> Anybody done this before?
>I don't think anyone else is nearly psychotic enough. ;)

Okay, now I have to answer. I once upgraded our news server from a
home-brew distribution running a.out to Debian 1.1 running ELF without
rebooting .. it was up for a month when I did it and I only rebooted
it two months after the upgrade for a hardware upgrade :)

If you have the guts, what you can do is the following:

- Extract the base_2.0.tar.gz somewhere in /var/tempinstall or somesuch
  use tar --numeric-owner -xpvf base_2.0.tar.gz !
- Fix your password file to match /var/tempinstall/etc/passwd
- Group file too, ofcourse
- Then carefully copy everything from /var/tempinstall into the place
  it belongs. Start with copying the /lib stuff into place, try if the
  new binaries work, then copy the rest. Use "cp -a" to preserve all
  permissions and owners.
- /dev, /etc and /etc/init.d + /etc/rc?.d are tricky!

If everything went OK, now you have a base system installed on a running
system! You should now be able to use "dpkg" or even "dselect" to
upgrade the rest.

Then the work starts to remove all old slackware files from your system..
it might be a good idea to remove as much non-essential stuff beforehand.

Good luck!

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.