Re: locally mounted files and dselect or dpkg?

Ed,

Dselect is just a front end to dpkg.  So dselect knows everything dpkg
does.  So just execute:

dpkg --install <package1.deb> <package2.deb> ......

and you should be set.  If you don't have a package file that is needed
then dpkg will tell you when it installs the packages.

This is the way to go for files that you download.  It is a pain to
install single file with dselect.

Don't worry,

Brian

*-Young, Ed ( 9 Jul)

| I want to install some debian packages which I downloaded. I used the Debian
| packages area of the Debian web page and ftp'd all the files which were
| indicated as necessary or recommended. I'd now like to copy them to a
| machine and install them.
|
| An example is Midnight Commander and there were 4 files which I downloaded
| to install. Some that were required, I already have installed.
|
| My questions are:
| Should I use dselect or dpkg or apt (apt not yet installed)?
|
| Since I've previously installed other packages via the dselect ftp method,
| will this break my update status table(s)? That is, will subsequent dselect
| ftp sessions know that I had installed these other packages using another
| method and handle things accordingly?
|
| If I should use dpkg then there is some dpkg usage algorithm I should
| follow? I have the Debian Users Manual which I got some time last year with
| 1.3.1 and it gives some usage notes, but since I've never used dpkg to
| install, I'm not sure of the ramifications.
|
| I may be over spooked about doing this, but I want to learn as much as
| possible before I charge ahead. That's how I broke my other Debian system.
|
| Thanx,
|
| Ed

| Ed Young                           (303)706-5425
| ed.young@echostar.com
| Software Engineering
| Echostar Technology Corporation
| Denver, Colorado