Re: Debian Package Manager "Worthless Junk"???

Carl Fink wrote:
> Well, Debian is in the process of switching package managers (apt),
> and supposedly there's a project called "deity" that will supersede
> all that has come before, but the current manager, dselect, can do
> anything rpm can (including installing rpm files) and some other
> things as well.

This paragraph has several errors that I thought I'd clear up:

* Apt is not a replacement for dpkg, it is a layer above it that still uses
  dpkg for the actual package installs and removes.
* Apt is a the new name for deity. not something different.
* Dselect/dpkg cannot install rpm files, you have to convert them to
  .deb format first with alien.

> On the other hand, it's surprisingly and unnecessarily hard to use.
> Also, it is not suitable for installing an entire system (you are
> advised to install just the base system, then a few more packages,
> then a few more . . .).

If you use apt with dselect, this is no longer a problem, apt fixes it.

--
see shy jo