Re: Advice on a new system

On Thu, Jul 09, 1998 at 08:47:29AM -0700, Doug Thistlethwaite wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am going to help one of the engineers at my company to build a personal
> system.  He has expressed interest in learning about linux and would like to
> have a system that will dual boot in both windows 98 and linux.  I have read
> several messages on this list talking about problems with windoze messing with
> linux partitions.  We are planning to assemble the PC from parts so we can
> purchase specific items if needed.

ahh...the best way to buy a system :)

> The current plans are for a K6-II 300MHz system with fast wide SCSI disks.  I am
> thinking of installing two drives (one for linux and the other for windoze).  I
> would like to make this system very easy for the engineer to boot into either
> OS.

This will never do...no no no...that will make your system better than mine
and I will be jealous :) (except for the duel boot thing...
I don't Duel Boot...I completely Dumped Windows...I kicked the habit...
ive been clean for 8 months now! wooo hoo!)

> My questions are:
>
> 1. What procedure and order should I follow in installing the two OS'es.

Windows First then Linux is always the best way...Let Windows come in and think
it owns the place....THEN after its settled in..shwo it whose boss!

> 2. Recommendations on FW SCSI adapters?

I have had very good luck with my Adaptec ..um forget the model...
its the cheapest one I could find by adaptec...AHA-1520
it works great...course right now all I do with it is backups to tape

> 3. We are going to want to add a CD-R drive to this system.  Should we look for
> a SCSI device or use the on-board IDE interface?  Does the operation of IDE
> devices compromise the access speed of SCSI devices?

Go SCSI for that!...in fact you will want 1 SCSI CDROM and 1 CDR also
SCSI...this miminizes problems with Disc to Disc Copies.

If youw ant good CDs then go SCSI...I have head of major probs with
IDE drives...IDE just can't keep the data flow well enough
-Steve
--
/* -- Stephen Carpenter <sjc@delphi.com> ------------------------------ */
A favorite quote from a source I forget: