Re: xfstt startup issue

On Wed, Jul 08, 1998 at 09:57:13PM -0700, Bill Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry I do not have the original message to respond to.  I have just
> moved from debian-user-digest to debian-user.  I may have missed the
> last day of this thread.

It is ok :)

> I also am using xfstt to serve my TrueType fonts.  It is not all that
> bad a package.  Problem is there is no startup with the Xfstt 0.9.7.
> Documentation is almost none.  I am running an up-to-date Hamm system.

I would recommend checking out xfstt 0.9.9 which is in slink (unstable)

> So here is my very first hack.
>
> I used the /etc/init.d/xfs for a base and created the file
> /etc/init.d/xfstt, (bottom of message).

I did that too initally...then ended up just re-writting myself
(I am the xfstt maintainer BTW) This was done in version 0.9.8
and is still in in 0.9.9 (with some tweaking)

NB: There is a bug in 0.9.9! /etc/init.d/xfstt is NOT a conffile
(will be fixed RSN...within a few days...sorry...lately ive been forced
to have a "social life") so if you install it you will loose your version
unless you back it up...sorry

> I modifid /etc/X11/config to mirror the xfs entry.  I used XFSTT in
> upper-case here due to test conflicts between the init.d xfs and xfstt
> scripts. (bad hacking)

in the NEXT version I will also be moving the port number of xfstt to
7101 to avoid the conflict with xfs (it is already using
/usr/share/fonts/truetype instead of /var/ttfonts)

> Then using the "SysV Init Editor" in KDE I added the xfstt just below
> the xfs lines.  xfstt needs be running before xdm, (in my case anyway).

Yes...This is because your font server is looking
for xfstt because it is a hard coded font path. The X Server panics when
it can't connect...I call that an X Server bug myself...
(BTW the latest version also allows multiple simultaneous connections)

> This was just a quick fix.  If someone would like to tune this up I
> would be greatfull.  This worked for me.  Please use it carefully.  I
> did lock my system hard if xfstt was not running when xdm starts up!

just be carefull...back up your files and try the latest version and
let me know what you think of how I did it....any suggestions
are apreciated
-Steve

--
/* -- Stephen Carpenter <sjc@delphi.com> ------------------------------ */
A favorite quote from a source I forget: