xfstt startup issue

Hello,

Sorry I do not have the original message to respond to.  I have just
moved from debian-user-digest to debian-user.  I may have missed the
last day of this thread.

I also am using xfstt to serve my TrueType fonts.  It is not all that
bad a package.  Problem is there is no startup with the Xfstt 0.9.7.
Documentation is almost none.  I am running an up-to-date Hamm system.

So here is my very first hack.

I used the /etc/init.d/xfs for a base and created the file
/etc/init.d/xfstt, (bottom of message).

I modifid /etc/X11/config to mirror the xfs entry.  I used XFSTT in
upper-case here due to test conflicts between the init.d xfs and xfstt
scripts. (bad hacking)

Then using the "SysV Init Editor" in KDE I added the xfstt just below
the xfs lines.  xfstt needs be running before xdm, (in my case anyway).

  Begin /etc/init.d/xfstt
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
#!/bin/sh
# /etc/init.d/xfstt: start or stop the True Type X font server

set -e

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
DAEMON=/usr/bin/X11/xfstt

test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

test -f /etc/X11/config || exit 0

if grep -q ^xbase-not-configured /etc/X11/config
then
  exit 0
fi

run_xfstt=0
if grep -q ^start-XFSTT /etc/X11/config
then
  run_xfstt=1
fi

case "$1" in
  start)
    if [ $run_xfstt = 1 ]
    then
      echo -n "Starting X TT font server: xfstt"
      start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec $DAEMON &
      echo "."
    fi
  ;;

  restart)
    $0 stop
    $0 start
  ;;

  stop)
    if [ $run_xfstt = 1 ]
    then
      echo -n "Stopping X TT font server: xfstt"
      start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --name xfstt --exec $DAEMON
      echo "."
    fi
  ;;

  *)
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/xfstt {start|stop|restart}"
    exit 1
  ;;
esac

exit 0

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  end /etc/init.d/xfstt

  This is my /etc/X11/config
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
# This file contains configuration flags for the X Window System.
# For a description of the meanings of the flags, see
# /usr/doc/X11/README.Debian

run-xconsole
allow-user-resources
allow-user-modmap
allow-user-xsession
allow-failsafe
use-sessreg
#start-xfs
start-XFSTT
start-xdm
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  end /etc/X11/config

  Links setup in /etc/rc2.d
15 Jul  8  1998 S11xfs -> /etc/init.d/xfs
17 Jul  8  1998 S12xfstt -> /etc/init.d/xfstt
15 Jul  8  1998 S20xdm -> /etc/init.d/xdm

This was just a quick fix.  If someone would like to tune this up I
would be greatfull.  This worked for me.  Please use it carefully.  I
did lock my system hard if xfstt was not running when xdm starts up!

Good luck,
Bill Bell (reboot)
a Linux newbee