Re: xforms replacement

The Gecko wrote:

> What is a "Free" graphics/windowing/x library out there?  I have a program
> that's written for xforms that I'd like to port to something that can go in
> main, not non-free.  fltk won't work.  I need the beable to plot graphs and
> fltk doesn't implement the xyplot function group of xforms.
>
> Come to think of it.. would a program requiring xforms go in non-free or
> contrib?

Well, you can add to fltk (-:  It is a rather nice framwork.  For apps
using XForms, if the app itself is free it can go to contrib, else it
goes to non-free.  The rule here is if the lib, app, etc. it DFSG
compliant but requires a non-DFSG compliant piece it goes to contrib.
Obviously if it too is non-DFSG then it goes to non-free, no questions
asked.

At one time fltk was to be a XForms replacement.  This changed.  Darn
shame.  Seems the Windows support helped make it less X complaint.

You can look at GTK see if it can help.  I have a lib here called EZWGL
(have not messed w/ it much).  It seems nice.  Search on freshmeat.net
for news purveyor, it uses the toolkit.  Or as I mentioned, you can add
to fltk.  The author is very keen on people helping to make it a better
lib.  Several pieces were recently added by a few mailing list readers.
We should see them in Debian soon.