Re: Debian Package Manager "Worthless Junk"???

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 02:47:31PM -0400, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
> > anything. Anyway, could you compare RPMs and the Debian package manager?
> > Also is there some kind of uninstall manager?
>
> Main Debian package manager (dpkg) is very similar to rpm, they both can
> install and uninstall packages, etc. What they were talking about is probably
> "dselect" - front-end to dpkg which lists all the packages and let you select
> which packages you want to install, uninstall, upgrade, etc. and then download
> and install/uninstall/upgrade everything automatically.
> The main problem of dselect is that user intrerface is a bit non-intuitive
> and with 1400 packages in archive - a little messy. It does a good job, though.

My take is that at first, I was a bit turned off by dselect.  Now,
though, I just use dpkg, and find it simpler, easier, faster, etc...
I think dselect is pretty neat-o, but as said above, a bit
non-intuitive.

I used to be very anti-package management, but dpkg has worked well
for me...  I've heard a lot of complaints against Red Hat's package
manager, though.  <shrug>