Re: autoup.sh + deselect broke emacs

"Young, Ed" <Ed.Young@echostar.com> writes:

> Ok, I'm still confused...
>
> Emacs? Not part of the current distribution? This is alarming.

There are now *four* emacsen in hamm: emacs-19.34, emacs-20.2,
xemacs-19.16, and xemacs-20.4, and you need to choose which you want.
The "emacs" package is obsolete because of the greater variety
provided in hamm.  And yes, you do need up upgrade to use the new
libc6-based programs.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "not to worry" since the upgrade has broken
> Emacs and now it is catagorized as "obsolete" meaning it is not part of the
> current distrubution.
>
> I'm certain that there must be a way to fix emacs in hamm. Is it by using
> Deselect, and just selecting it for upgrade? (a loathsome download
> nightmare).

On a 28.8k modem it doesn't take *that* long, just two or three hours :)

> Perhaps I should get a clue on the use of dpkg or apt since it seems most on
> this list avoid deselect in favor of dpkg if only one package is to be
> installed, emacs in this case.

No, I think many debian-users use the apt method *inside* deslect: it
handles dependency ordering correctly, so you don't need multiple passes
of install/configure which the vanilla dselect sometimes requires.  But
dselect will do just fine here.

> Ed
>
> *********************************
> Ed Young                           (303)706-5425
> ed.young@echostar.com
> Software Engineering
> Echostar Technology Corporation
> Denver, Colorado