diskcrash -> /var gone, was: Re: Plattencrash -> /var weg?

Hello,

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> I would politely ask you to pose your question in english as this is an
> english-language list.
Oh, I´m sorry. This message should have gone to the german debian user
list.

Nevertheless, the problem was, that after a diskcrash my /var directory
was gone. I was asking how to reinstall the system without doing a full
reinstall.

I have solved it by

1.) making a backup of the /etc directory
2.) installing the base system via the rescue floppies
3.) got a list of installed packages from /usr/doc/* directories.
4.) set the list with dpkg --set-selections
5.) and finally reinstalled everything.

Now I´m in the state of fixinig a few problems left over, but the system
is up und stable again.

Dirk