Making modem talk 4........................

Hi,

  YES, i (we) made it. My modem is making noises !!! But i bougth my
modems not to do some noise, but to conect to internet. I have try the
dip utility, but i dont like it very much. Maybe the problem is not from
dip (and im almost sure the problem isnt from dip), but when i log to my
ISP it is extreamly slow. i must wait about 1 minute to write my login
and password!! How can i resolve this?? And can you recomend me a good
ppp dialer (i prefer a Xwindow diales) ??

PD: I guess all this (pnp) configuration stuff goes to my soudcard too
isnt?

                         T H A N K S

                       Phillip Neumann
                      filsin@hotmail.com

>Oh, we're almost there. That's just the info we need. Now, you need to
create your
>/etc/isapnp.conf file. The easiest way to do this is to have the
pnpdump command
>create a "template" file for you. As root run:
>
>pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf
>
>You'll then edit the file. Basically, your modem can be set up with a
number of
>different IO and IRQ values. You just have to tell it which one.
pnpdump will create
>the config file, with all possible values but commented out. You just
need to
>uncomment the right lines (and possible edit the lines a bit) and then
run
>'/etc/init.d/isapnp start'. If you're brave and confident go ahead and
try this. If
>you get muddled with the config file come on back.
>
>Phillip Neumann wrote:
>
>> Hi, again......
>>
>> This is getting interesting for me, because i have try to configure
my
>> modem since about 3 weeks, and i couldnt.
>> Im my win95 modem prop. said its in COM3. In the Resources tab it
said
>> "Input/Output 03E8" and "Interrupt Request 05". Im a novice with that
>> stuff and im not syre if thats the IRQ and OI.....
>>
>>    I hope my modem will work !!
>>
>> Thanks , Phillip Neumann, filsin@hotmail.com
>>
>> You wrote:
>>
>> >Ok, making progress now. Here comes the hard part! You need to
decide
>> which IO address
>> >and IRQ port your PNP modem should use. In order to make things
easy,
>> let's first
>> >assume that using the same ones which Win95 assigns will work in
Linux
>> (which will
>> >most likely be true). In Win95, right-click "My Computer" and choose
>> Properties from
>> >the popup menu. Now look at the device manager. You should be able
>> find your modem
>> >and see which IO port and IRQ are assigned. Gather this information
and
>> then we'll
>> >move on.

>> board,