TCP/IP Ports & JDBC-mSQL & Security

I'm a newbie to Linux and I've run into a problem that I can't figure out.
I'm using my ISP's Debian 1.1 system and mSQL with the JDBC-mSQL driver
via my shell account. I've set up an mSQL database and can query it
succesfully with mSQL tools, but I haven't successfully connected with
JDBC yet, not even with a local connection. I've checked the host URL and
I'm pretty certain I have it correct.  I asked my ISP's SysAdmin about why
could one locally running program access the database, but not another. He
said something about there being TCP/IP Port security set up within inetd
that he'd have to change -- and that he didn't have any time to do
anything about it -- so I'm dead in the water. But while I'm twiddling my
thumbs I'm still wondering if this is the correct explanation.  Like maybe
there's something I'm missing here and I could get it running without the
SysAdmin making TCP/IP ports publically available (I can understand his
reluctance, but it leaves me up the creek). Obviously there's a lot I
don't know, so I'm not sure if I've even given enough info for y'all to
help me or if I've confused things by the way I've framed the question.
Maybe if someone asks me the right questions I'll be able to answer them
and get on the right track.  I'm really in the dark here and I'd really
appreciate any help or insights anyone could provide.

A Clueless newbie