Re: Unidentified subject!

Will Lowe wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 ej@pitnet.net wrote:
>
> > Unless explicitly told to do so using xhost, X does not allow anybody
> > other than the person who started it to open windows on its desktop,
> > not even root.  I could never figure out the proper syntax for xhost,
> > however, so I usually end up just using 'xhost +' which disables all
> > access control and then 'xhost -' when I'm done.
>
> That's pretty insecure.  I've seen instances where people on our campus
> (admittedly,  a large one with relatively insecure systems anyway) have
> had other people connect to their X displays because they'd done the
> "xhost +" bit.  Generally more a nuisance than a real security concern,
> but still... "xhost + locahost" is only marginally more secure ... with
> that one,  just anyone on the x machine can connect ... so on a system
> which distributes campus email,  that's a few thousand people here...
>
> Go for "sudo".

Actually, it's potentially much more than a nuisance. An X client can capture all your
keystrokes. You do the math.

To just allow root to run an X app when you logged in as someone other than root do:

chilin$ su
Password:
chilin# export XAUTHORITY=$(echo /var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/*)

This way you can log access the server using the xauth data which only you and root
have access to. Neato.
Try it!

--
Jens B. Jorgensen