Re: bo-->hamm: 'iso9660 not supported'

   while configuring the kernel i saw no option to choose iso9660 support
   ...did i miss something?

Under 'filesystems' click on 'yes' for 'Native Language Support
(NLS)'.  Once this is done you will see iso9660, vfat, etc options.

   [menuconfig came up in b&w instead of color (not that i
   care)...just weird.]

I just tried 'menuconfig'... I get color when using a console window,
but if I am in X using an xterm I get b&w.  I think that may be the
way it is supposed to work.

   also, ps2 mouse doesn't work as a module, only if it is built into
   the kernel...is this peculiar to my system or generally the
   case...just curious...related to this...why do i get the following
   during boot regardless of whether device support is built-in or
   selected as module:

   	   cdrom: can't locate module cdrom
           psaux: can't locate module psaux
           serial: can't locate module serial

   in the case of the mouse and serial ports doesn't seem to affect function
   and they are correctly configured during boot process later on

Did you specify support for the above devices to be configured as
modules, or directly supported by the kernel?  If you specified
module, did you execute 'make modules; make modules_install' ??

If your kernel directly supports these devices, just comment out the
appropriate lines in /etc/modules.

Sorry I cannot help with slirp, as I have never used it. :(

For ppp connections I configure /etc/ppp/peers/provider and
/etc/chatscripts/provider and just run 'pon'.  I don't know exactly
what they are since I am at work right now... Let me know if you would
like them for example and I can send them later.

Upgrades do not affect the configurations, either.  I'm not sure if
they do, but if chat/pppd packages prompt you during installs/upgrade,
you should keep the existing configuration files instead of installing
the maintainers configs.  Keeping existing config files is usually the
default.

Dennis
--
Dennis Kelly <dpk@egr.msu.edu>             |  phone: 353.4844
Network Admin, College of Engineering, MSU |  pager: 222.5875