Re: Compiling the kernel?

Tom Pfeifer wrote:

> Well, not knowing any better, I fixed it by uninstalling my header and
> source packages (2.0.33), reinstalling the libc6-dev package, and then
> installing bin86 and the 2.0.34 source and header packages.
>
> This left the usr/include directories (asm, linux, scsi) NOT set up as
> links. This is contrary to the source documentation, but agrees with the
> Debian licb6-dev document that Bob mentioned.
>
> The configure and compile then went without a hitch, and "make zImage"
> left the kernel image file (278k)in arch/i386/boot as expected. It also
> left a file called vmlinux of about 680k in /usr/src/linux. I don't know
> the purpose of that file.

	vmlinux is the uncompressed version of the kernel.  The psupdate
process needs it there to update the database the ps prog uses to
display info about a running kernel.  I don't know the details of what
ps needs from it.  Generaly, when you build a new kernel/modules you
also run psupdate to update the psdatabase file (in either /boot or /etc
- not sure what the offical location for this file is).  Once you've
done this you can use 'make clean' to remove the vmlinux and other files
(like *.o) for space if you prefer.

> Lilo didn't complain, and the 2.0.34 kernel boots and runs with no
> problems - and it seems faster (my imagination maybe). Thanks for all
> the help - it feels good!

	If you use lilo (in /boot) you're probably better off using 'make
zlilo'.  This will automatically copy the final kernel to /boot and run
lilo to update everything.

--
Ed