Re: modem works now - but modem-computer comunication really slow

If i understand correctly, one of your problems is that it is very slow.
1) Is it a plug-and-play modem ?
2) what does setserial (setserial /dev/ttyS3 -a) reports ?
3) Perhaps you should consider giving a more specific modem initialization
string, rather then ATZ ?
4) I think you should read the PPP HOWTO. It is a bit different from the way
Debian handels the connection but, never the less, I find it an invaluable
source to start things going (and also get a little insight). I also saw on
this list that there are instructions on the automatic FAQ (FAQ'O'MATIC ?),
although I did not used it.