Re: Hard lock-up crashes, need some clues!

*-Brandon Mitchell ( 6 Jul)
| On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 servis@purdue.edu wrote:
|
| > Very unpredictably(so far) my machine will lock-up hard.  I can't
| > ctl-alt-del, no mouse or keyboard response, not even any jsr daemon
| > response(uses joystick port to signal reboot).  The only indication in
| > the logs are strings of binary characters showing up as ^@.  I have to
| > hit the reset button and hope my hard drive isn't trashed.  Does
| > anybody have any ideas of what to look for?
|
| It could be a hardware problem.  My best guess is over heating.  Take the
| cover off and put a fan next to it to see if that fixes the problem.

Well, I am overclocking my P233 to 266, and have been doing so since
March or so. I took off the case cover and the cpu wasn't even hot, I
could grab the sides of the fan-heatsink.  I will keep an eye on this
and see I can find a pattern of some sort.

Thanks,

Brian