Re: telnet/terminal key codes

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980704172319.31117A-100000@ns.3dillusion.com>,
Paul Miller <paul@3dillusion.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to customize SecureCRT 2.2 so that the keys will be similar to
> those of a VC.  Is there a reference page or somewhere that I can find the
> strings that are sent when certain keys are pressed?

- Partially, you can deduce this from the keymap you load. If you don't
  know what keymap is loaded on you system, you can dump the current one
  with dumpkeys(1).

- You can dump the Linux console terminfo entry with infocmp(1). The
  terminfo(5) man page describes the capability codes.

- In the shell, you can enter ^V followed by the key in question, which
  will insert the literal escape sequence produced by the key in the
  command line buffer.

> ie, what is sent when F5 is pressed?

"\033[[5", which is a Linuxism.

> SecureCRT has VT_PFx codes, but the're only the first four F keys...
> F5 through F10 don't work.

I assume SecureCRT, whatever that is, emulates a DEC VT100 terminal. The
VT100 had only four function keys, named PF1 to PF4.

(The Linux console tries, within the limits set by the PC hardware, to
emulate a DEC VT220 terminal, which is itself a superset of the VT100.
Due to some substantial differences in the layout of the MF2 keyboard
compared to a DEC LK201, there are some incongruencies regarding the
function/special/keypad keys.)

> Also, what terminal setting works best w/ Linux (and what is the
> difference)?

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to ask. If you use the
Linux console as terminal, obviously TERM=linux is correct. If you use
some other terminal to access a Linux system, set TERM to the type of
that terminal.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
  See another pointless homepage at <URL:http://home.pages.de/~naddy/>.