Re: hmm... an idea

How dynamic is the ip? What I'm getting at is that it takes time to have a
hostname propogate through the internet (sometimes up to a week). So if you get
this working, and if you're changing ip's every day then some computers on the other side of the world may still point to an ip that has already changed 5-7 times already.

On Sun, Jul 05, 1998 at 06:42:07PM -0400, Paul Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, George Bonser wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, Paul Miller wrote:
> >

> > > I have 1 static IP and I'm thinking about getting an additional dynamic
> > > IP.  I'm not exactly sure on how DHCP works, but is there a way to have
> > > the my DNS server (on static IP) updated when the dynamic IP changes?
> > >
> > > THanks
> > > -Paul
> >
> > If you are wanting the host assigned by DHCP to be reachable from the
> > internet, yeah, you will need something to update your zone file and
> > restart DNS. There are several DYNDNS packages around, sign up for the
> > systalk mailing list at ml.org and make an inquiry there.
>
> Yeah.  hmm.. how will the dynamic computer know when its IP changes?  Is
> it possible to run a script to notify the name server?
>
> Thanks,
> -Paul
>

> --

Tod Detre |"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at
          | least find you handy." -Red Green
          |"It is TOD not TODD! Do you see God spelling his name