Re: URGENT hamm install help needed

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Ivan wrote:

> Thanx for the quick reply Mike.

You're welcome :)

> I can understand what you are saying re:install slowly rather than trying
> to do everything at once (some people just have no patience!)
>
> My plan at the moment is to format my h/d (2.5Gb) put in a 12Mb vfat
> partition to hold base2_0.tgz (loaded as a split file from floppies) and
> then partition the balance as linux partitions. At least I can be certain
> that I don't have a space problem.
>
> BIG, HUGE, QUESTION : Access to this list is the single most important
> thing to me at the moment.  If I take the default home-user packages, visit
> netscape and download 4.05, will I have at least functional net access ???
> (in your opinion that is !)

I use Netscape as a browser, but not for email, but that's just personal
taste.  The main problem with you using Netscape for access to this list
while installing is that Netscape needs X, so you will have to get X
working first.

You might want to consider starting out with pine, which is what I use.
Advantages:  easy to use, even for a beginner, and it will run in an xterm
or on a console.  I assume you are getting your mail via POP.  I dont know
if pine can fetch mail via POP on its own.  If not, you will need
fetchmail or something.

I think elm is the Debian default mail reader, so I assume it will come in
the 'home' installation.  It too will work in an xterm or console.

> If not, then I have lost access to all my help and will have to reinstall
> windoze (yuck!)

2.5 gig is enough space for both M$ and Linux if you want both.  I have
two systems, a 486 and a PII.  500Mb (the whole disk) is a little cramped
on the 486, but still reasonable.  I run Linux in a 1 gig partition on the
PII, which is plenty for me.