REPOST: URGENT hamm install help needed

Thanx for the quick reply Mike.

I can understand what you are saying re:install slowly rather than trying
to do everything at once (some people just have no patience!)

My plan at the moment is to format my h/d (2.5Gb) put in a 12Mb vfat
partition to hold base2_0.tgz (loaded as a split file from floppies) and
then partition the balance as linux partitions. At least I can be certain
that I don't have a space problem.

BIG, HUGE, QUESTION : Access to this list is the single most important
thing to me at the moment.  If I take the default home-user packages, visit
netscape and download 4.05, will I have at least functional net access ???
(in your opinion that is !)

If not, then I have lost access to all my help and will have to reinstall
windoze (yuck!)

After writing the first message, I read in the May or June archives of a
person who found a file that had been filled with the line " #padding ".
Having read that I remember finding something close to 20 of these files
(sorry, can't remember the path) on the first install which I think was the
final cause of "no space" error.

It is the dependancy and conflict problems that worry me.

I can't comment on the obsolecence of libg++ but it seemed that an awful
lot of hamm packages were very unhappy without !!!

At 08:19 AM 06-07-98 -0400, you wrote:

>If the size of your installed system is 400Mb, the disk space required is
>400Mb + space for the .deb files + working space.  You can delete the .deb
>files after they are installed (dselect does this for you).  So
>downloading fewer packages might help you.
>
>Here is the approach that I use:  I divide my installation into parts:
>emacs, tetex, X, and everything else.  I do my installation in phases,
>starting with 'everythging else'.
>
>Unless you have deleted them, the .deb that dselect downloaded for you are
>in /var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/debian/dists/frozen/main/binary-i386
>If you feel adventurous, you could try deleting stuff that you dont need
>to install right away (say stuff in x11, tex, and editors) to give
>yourself some working room.  Then install some other packages by hand
>using dpkg -i nameofpackage.deb.  Delete any .deb files that you
>successfully install by hand.  Once you feel that you have deleted enough
>.deb files (one way or another), give dselect another shot at it.  dselect
>will know which packages were installed with dpkg and will not try to
>download them again.
>
>I think libg++ is obsolete.  If you have the replacement (libstdc++ or
>something I think) you may not need libg++.
>
>Mike

<original message deleted>