Re: Compiling the kernel?

On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, Tom Pfeifer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a fairly new Linux user, and am really starting to enjoy Linux and
> the Debian distribution. I'm running Hamm which I have downloaded and
> installed in bits and pieces with the help of dftp and dpkg. I also have
> the KDE beta4 desktop, the glib version of Communicator 4.05, and the
> Tkdesk file manager. I'm impressed - not bad at all!
>
> Anyway, I'm trying to learn how to configure and compile the kernel. I
> have the 2.0.33 kernel source and header packages properly installed
> (dpkg is happy anyway), and the /usr/include links set up correctly as
> stated in the source documentation. I then do the following:

The source documentation is incorrect for a Debian libc6 installation.
You should have left it alone.  As root, do

mv /usr/src/linux /usr/src/linux-2.0.33 (if /usr/src/linux is a link to
this, just remove it.)
ln -s /usr/source/kernel-headers-2.0.32 /usr/src/linux'

> cd /usr/src/linux
> make mrproper
> make xconfig  (then configure, save, and exit)
> make dep
> make clean
> make zImage
>
> The compile proceeds for a few minutes, and then exits with these lines:
>
> as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
> make[1]: as86 Command not found
> make[1]: *** [bootsect.o] Error 127
> make[1]: Leaving directory 'usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.33/arch/i386/boot'
> make: *** [zImage] Error 2

Install the bin86 package

> It does leave a vmlinuz image file in /usr/src/linux which is about the
> same size as my current kernel, but when I install it in /boot and run
> lilo, it complains about "kernel image too large", or similar words. I
> restored the original so it's no problem as far as running, but does
> anyone have an idea what the problem might be, or where to read up on
> it?

Use 'make bzImage' instead of 'make zImage'.

To ease compilation and automate the lilo setup, install
kernel-package and read its documentation.

Bob

----