Trying to install ELM

I am running Debian 1.3 and kernel 2.0.33 and I am trying to install ELM
I go through the sh /Configure but when I try tail -f MAKELOG it gives me
the following error message:

cc  -O -I../hdrs      -c mcprt.c -o mcprt.o
mcprt.c: In function `MCprintf':
mcprt.c:64: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (first use this function)
mcprt.c:64: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
mcprt.c:64: for each function it appears in.)
mcprt.c: In function `MCfprintf':
mcprt.c:87: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (first use this function)
mcprt.c: In function `MCsprintf':
mcprt.c:110: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (first use this function)
make[1]: *** [mcprt.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/elm/lib'
make: *** [all] Error 2

All I want to do is send email through the internet. Is there another
program that may be easier to install.

You only get one chance at life, but if you do it right, you only need one.