Re: scsi drive recognition problems

I've seen reports on the aic7xxx and linux-kernel mailing lists about
device-negotiation error under the more recent versions of the driver.
Many of them sounded quite similar to what you've described.  You might
try creating a custom install-disk, using an older version of the driver...
you can find them at ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/OLD/.