Re: VCD Player and SB 16 PnP

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> > > Yes, you do need the isapnptools, unless you plan on using loadlin from windows
> > > or something wierd like that..  The sound howto will tell you all about how to
> > > make it work.
> > You won't need isapnptools if you've got a pnp bios -- it'll take care of
> > the pnp end of things for you.
>
> Yes, BUT how will you know what settings the BIOS has assigned it to
> tell the sound driver? I have a PnP BIOS and still use isapnptools.
> Windows wouldn't need PnP support if it were this simple.
>
> Hamish

	On my system, the PnP card is initialized to the same values every time
(whatever default values the card prefers), so once you know what it
initializes to after the first bootup, you can safely predict what it
will initialize to subsequently.  On systems with multiple PnP cards
that conflict in their preferred configurations things might be more
complicated.

--
Ed