Re: dump & restore

Here's the scoop. Dump wants to know how much capacity the tape has. Traditionally
this information was given to dump by passing it the density *and* length. Linux dump
allows you to specify the tape capacity in bytes with the 'B' option. Apparently some
very old tape systems could not detect the end of tape so this was important to dump
and as you've discovered dump is quite anal about stopping when it thinks the tape is
full. Now, after you've written one dump image of course the space left on the tape
will be less than the original capacity. However, since most modern tapes detect end
of file dump will fail with an error message that it reached the end of the tape. No
big deal. If it fails there wasn't anything you could have done about it anyway unless
you were around to get a different tape. I know that multi-volume backups did not work
with linux dump in the past. I'm not sure if this is fixed yet.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com