Re: egcs includes

On Wed, Jul 01, 1998 at 10:14:23PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> > There seem to be (at least) four files not installed in the
> > ../include/g++ directory that is produced by egcs that _are_ part of the
> > GNU g++ includes, namely
> >
> > Regex.h Pix.h String.h SLList.h
> >
> > Why is this, and can anyone suggest the most elegant method for making
> > these absent includes available if one is compiling source that needs
> > them?
> >
> > I would gladly be pointed in the direction of any egcs documentation
> > that would help clear up my chronic confusion here.

See /usr/doc/g++/README.Debian ; suggestions for improvement are welcome.

> I think this are old libg++ headers. libg++ is obsolete, don't use it if
> you can help it.

Yes. Basically, just about all the functionality that was in the GNU
extensions is now available in the standard C++ (template) library (and thus
can be ported to non-GNU systems). libg++ (which nowadays refers to then GNU
extensions exclusively) is no longer maintained upstream.

> There was a rumor about a libg++ dev package for eg++ in hamm but I'm not
> sure what came of it.

I don't spread rumours without a significant amount of truth in them :-)
As of egcs 1.0.3-0.2 (8 May), libg++ packages for hamm are available:
libg++2.8 and libg++2.8-dev .

HTH,
Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch