Why make xconfig, but not make menuconfig or make config?

	For a long time now, I have been using make xconfig to compile a new
kernel, and I've compiled about 100 times that way.  But I recently messed
up the configuration, and can only use the console.  But whenever I try to
compile with menuconfig or config, everything compiles okay, but the system
uses the old kernel (the last kernel compiled after make xconfig).
This is the command line for make xconfig:
make xconfig; make dep; make clean; make zlilo; make modules; make
modules_install
This always works (Though I don't always get a bootable kernel ;-) )

This is the command line for menuconfig:
make menuconfig; make dep; make clean; make zlilo; make modules; make
modules_install
As I said, this doesn't work.

I've tried doing make mrproper before all this as well, no difference.

I'm using kernel 2.0.34, the latest version of gcc (hamm), and I don't know
what else would be helpful.

Thanks folks
Jesse Bethel