Re: Please help with IP Aliasing

If you are using apache and qmail, you have no need whatsoever for binding
more than 1 ip to your system.

eg, on my system, I'm doing virtual webhosting & email for a few domains. so...
if you go to http://crosssound.narrows.com, you get one page. If you go to
http://www3.minion.ml.org, you get a different page. If you nslookup those two
names, they come up with the same ip, 198.93.1.102.

In apache's /etc/apache/httpd.conf, I have a section like so:

<VirtualHost minion.ml.org>
ServerAdmin ieure@minion.ml.org
DocumentRoot /home2/ieure/minion
ServerName minion.ml.org
ErrorLog /var/log/apache/minion.ml.org-error_log
TransferLog /var/log/apache/minion.ml.org-access_log
</VirtualHost>

I use smail, not qmail, so I can't help with that... but when smail was
installed, it asked for other hostnames to process mail for... add whatever
names you need, then just make sure that all of them are CNAMES in your dns
zone file. This is also more stable than having many ip aliases in some cases.