Re: setuid problems

Oskar Liljeblad <osk@hem.passagen.se> writes:
OL> Aren't setuid shell scripts supposed to be executed with EUID=1?
OL> They aren't on my system. I can't see what's wrong here...

setuid-root (and probably setuid-anything) scripts run with the uid of
the caller; they ignore the setuid bit.

OL> Some users should be able to mount two specific DOS hdd drives,
OL> and the same users should also be able to call shutdown -r/-h now.
OL> I can't see any other way to do it.

You can make users able to mount specific drives by adding a "user"
option to their lines in /etc/fstab; see mount(8) for more details.
You can also use the sudo command to grant specific users permission
to do specific things as root; install the Debian sudo package and
read its documentation.

--
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called