Re: Problem with Linux recognizing modem

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Fungame Game wrote:

> I have a modem that is installed on COM2, and is internal. It is
> compatible with all Hayes-type commands. PPPd is setup to dial out
> (using chat, using ppp-go). However, when I run it, I get something like
> this: pppd[299] tcgetattr I/O error. This sounded like a problem talking
> to my modem, or an incorect setup (eventhough I had it setup for
> /dev/ttyS1) so I launched minicom.

 What IRQ is the modem configured to use? Try typing the command
"cat /proc/interrupts" and see if it reports ttyS1 as using the correct
interrupt.

 I've seen similar behavior when Linux and the modem disagree as to IRQ.
You can use the "setserial" command to tell Linux what IRQ to use.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles           (248) 377-7735         ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
                          -- Philip K. Dick