Problem with Linux recognizing modem

I have a modem that is installed on COM2, and is internal. It is
compatible with all Hayes-type commands. PPPd is setup to dial out
(using chat, using ppp-go). However, when I run it, I get something like
this: pppd[299] tcgetattr I/O error. This sounded like a problem talking
to my modem, or an incorect setup (eventhough I had it setup for
/dev/ttyS1) so I launched minicom.

Since I was debugging, I went in and changed all the modem strings to be
100% hayes compatible (like for instance, only an ATZ for init).
However, on the old configuration of minicom, or the new one, the modem
never picks up the phone to dial, and the dial times out, and is
retryed.

I called the manufacturor of my modem (Compaq Presario 336-DF 56k) and
asked them about the modem. They said that Linux should be recognizing
it, and that it is Hayes compatible, and that there are no dependancies
on any specific os for this modem.

The modem is configured properly and works in windows 95. It accepts all
the commands which I configured minicom for, and will dial in on its own
using the win 95 networking sw.

What should I do now?

Out of ideas,
Fungame