Re: Need linux for alpha

On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 03:33:47PM -0400, Will Lowe wrote:
> My lab has an old Alpha 3000 sitting around (at least that's what the case
> says) that's not being used for anything,  and for various reasons we're
> in search of a new OS to run on it.
>
> Can Alpha linux run here?  Is there a decent release of it?  I'm under the
> impression that our alpha port isn't quite ready..

unless something drastic happened very recently, Linux will NOT
run on any of the DEC 3000 series.  for more info, check out

	http://www.azstarnet.com/~axplinux/FAQ-4.html

besides, depending on the model you have, that machine is really
old (circa 1993 and 1994) so you won't get any benefits (such as
performance) other than the novelty of running Linux on Alpha.
--andy