Re: debian-user-digest Digest V98 #526

Dennis Dixon <dixon@dixonadvise.com> wrote:

> I am trying to install the package 'jdk1.1.5-v7-libc5.tar.gz'
> (downloaded from 'ce.usu.edu/pub/mirror/linus/JDK/JDK-1.1.5/i386/libc5/v7/).

Just as a thought, you might try the 1.1.6 versions; I'm using v1 and it
seems fine, might try v2 soon - this is on a _bo_ system. glibc version
works great on hamm if you install the slink glibc version (as of a
clean hamm install about 2 weeks ago; debian stuff changes fast
though...).

But that's not your problem; the 1.1.5v7 works fine.

> I put '/usr/local/jdk1.1.5/bin' in my path in '/root/.bash_profile' and
> added the statement:
>                   'export DISPLAY=:0'
> to '/root/.bash_profile' also.

You shouldn't need to do that. $DISPLAY is normally set for you by X
whenever you're running in an xsession. Try taking that export out of
your .bash_profile, restarting your x session, popping up an xterm and
typing `echo $DISPLAY` and see
what it says.

Setting it won't mess it up, it's just not necessary. However, you do
need correct format:

productionone$ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

So a better line would be 'export DISPLAY=:0.0' if you needed it, which
you shouldn't.

Good luck-

--

Paul Reavis                                      preavis@partnersoft.com