PPP or no PPP ....

Hello debian users! (yes it's another lost newbie question..
:(  )

During hamm installation I entered the details of my modem
and of my ISP (IP, user, password..).
I have started pon and have heard the modem hand-shake, but
what's next?
I didn't get any details of what have happened. Appearently,
the connection was successful,
because the modem did not disconnect.
1) How can I check my connection status?
I reasoned that if the connction was indeed successful,
dselect's ftp would work.
I used the default connection options, and dselect simply
wrote: "failed".
What's next?  2) What could be the problem?
I would like to get most of the standard packages, if not
through debian, than by windoz'ing,
but, 3) where, appart from dselect, I can find the list of
the standard packages, or to know which
packs are standard (using more than newbie educated guessing
mechanism...)

TIA! really.