Re: 2 ethernet cards (more ...)

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Philippe BARBELET wrote:

: Hi Debian friends,
:
: I have 2 ISA 3C509 ethernet cards in my PC.
:
: At boot time, the system says :
:
: 3c509: WARNING! Module load-time probing works reliably only for EISA
: and MCA bus!!
: eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, 10baseT port, address  00 20 af 34 e8 44,
: IRQ 3.
: 3c509.c:1.07 6/15/95 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
:
: My lilo.conf file is correctly configured :
:
: 	append="ether=0,0,eth1"

I believe you want a line more like
append="ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=11,0x2e0,eth1"

This implies that you've used 3C5X9CFG.EXE from the 3Com driver disks to
manually set the cards to these addresses (or whichever addresses you
choose).

This line was taken from a working lilo.conf from a machine with two
3C509B cards.  Both were set to no plug-and-play, and the IRQs and I/O
addresses were set manually.

Oh, the card with the lower MAC address will always be eth0, no matter
how you denote them on the append line (so if the card at IRQ 11 in my
example had a lower MAC address, the kernel would assign eth0 to THAT
card and eth1 to the card at IRQ 10.  Weird, but that's the way it
works.)

Hope this helps,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104