Re: mouseman+ with linux

On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 04:14:52PM -0500, servis@purdue.edu wrote:
> Does anybody have any info on using the 4-button/1-wheel logitech
> mouseman+ mouse with linux?

See Colas Nahaboo's X Mouse Wheel Scroll Page at
http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/
and also also /usr/doc/X11/README.mouse

You will have to spend some time tweaking the settings and your
XF86Config file and making sure each button does what you want.  I have
a Logitech MouseMan+, which I had set up specially so that buttons 2 and
3 are reversed, so that the right button does "paste" (same as GPM) and
the bottom button does the other thing.  (I think I put a "pointer 1 3
2" line or such somewhere, but I can't find it in ~/.xsession or
/etc/X11/XF86Config so I'm not sure where I put it.)

Anyway, when I tried to set up the mouse wheel thing, my paste button
moved to the bottom button, and the Debian Menu (which I use all the
time) also moved to the bottom button.  This was intolerable, so I
backed out the changes until I can find some time to get all the buttons
right.

Also, the doc mentions that your applications receive the wheel-up and
wheel-down events as two extra "buttons" but then makess you remap the
button order because X only supports 5 buttons and you now have 6.  I'm
not sure what the optimal settings should be, and how each application
should be set up.

If you try this and it works, let me know.  Maybe we can put together a
"Suggested Debian Solution" if no one else is working on it.

One advantage of Linux over Windows is that the Windows driver cannot
distinguish between pressing the bottom button and pressing the wheel
button.  I got one of these mice for my mother (she finds it better for
her hand than the MS mice because of her carpal-tunnel syndrome).
Anyway, she didn't want to do any dragging, and so we made the wheel
button be a "start drag" command.  Unfortunately, the function got
propagated to the bottom button as well.  But because she's used to
resting her thumb right where the bottom button is, she was constantly
pressing the bottom button inadvertently.  So we had to disable the
bottom button, which meant we lost the wheel button and the "drag
button" function as well.

>  What about gpm?

I haven't heard anything about GPM.

--
*    *     Russki   Deutsch   Esperanto                *           *